Intro to Buying
Create an account with Circle (first time bidders only). You can do that here and it includes reading through our terms of service. After you have an account you can register for the auctions you’re interested in bidding on. Registration takes 3 minutes and includes entering your shipping and payment info. After your registration is approved you’ll receive an email that you’re ready to bid.
Our auctions take place online and are open for bidding for two weeks. At any point you can submit your highest bid for an item or wait until the final evening of the auction when bidding is most active.
An important note before bidding: Auction winners, in addition to their high bid amount, pay a Buyers Premium of 19% (this fee helps keeps the lights on at Circle). So if you’re the highest bidder at $2,000 of a beautiful Thomas Hart Benton lithograph, your invoice would be $2,380 after the buyers premium is included.
After you have bid on and won that delightful Lalique crystal vase (or whichever item makes your heart beat a little faster) payment is due within five business days of the auction. We’ll email you an invoice which includes your winning bids with buyers premium and applicable sales tax factored in. We accept cash, credit, debit, wire transfers, and certified checks. Circle will hold lots until payments by check have cleared the bank. Circle requires wire transfer or ACH for items sold over $5,000. Unpaid invoices will be auto-charged to the credit card on file on the 6th business day following the auction.
Once your invoice is paid, you may pick up your item in person at our offices Monday through Friday from 10am-4pm beginning the first business day following the auction. Pickups are not available on Saturdays, Sundays, or national holidays.
While we don’t offer in-house shipping (making it your responsibility to arrange shipment with a shipping company), we’ll happily guide you through the process. You can view more info on the shipping process and our list of recommended shippers here.
We also offer free item delivery within 20 miles of our offices for any item under 200 lbs.
Circle Auction Office: 901 Woodswether Rd, Kansas City, MO 64105
4. Pickup / Shipment
Buyer frequently ask questions
Do I need to register to bid in an auction?
Yes. Having auction participants register ensures all bidders are going to follow through with their bids should they win. Registration is quite a simple and quick process:
- Create an account with Circle (first-time bidders only). This process takes less than a minute.
- After you have an account you can register for the auctions you’re interested in bidding on. Registration takes 3 minutes and includes entering your shipping and payment info.
- After your registration is approved, you’ll receive an email that you’re ready to bid.
If I have a question about an item, who do I contact?
We would love to help. Please email email@example.com with any questions. You may also reach us by phone at (913) 403-0032.
Can I see an item in person before bidding on it?
Yes. Every auction we host has an in-person preview a day or two before the auction closes. We encourage you to inspect in person any item you’re interested in bidding on. Our hours vary based on the auction, so please take a look at the specific auction page for preview hours.
I registered for an auction and was charged $1, why?
In order to make sure your credit card was entered correctly and is active, we pre-authorize your card. You will see the pre-authorization charge returned within 5 business days.
What is a Buyer's Premium?
Auction winners, in addition to their high bid amount, pay a Buyer’s Premium of 19% (this fee helps keep the lights on at Circle). So if you’re the highest bidder at $2,000 of a beautiful Thomas Hart Benton lithograph, your invoice would be $2,380 after the Buyer’s Premium is included. If you’re bidding on Circle auctions through the LiveAuctioneers or Invaluable platforms, the Buyer’s Premium is 28%.
How can I bid on an item?
All bidding is done online or over the phone, with no in-person bidding option. To bid, please utilize one of the following options:
- Bid Online – Visit our live catalog, register for the auction you are interested in, and place your bid.
- Bid on your smartphone – Circle has an iOS and an Android app. You can view individual auction catalogs, consign with us, register to bid, and bid in all of our auctions. Simply search “Circle Auction” in the app store.
- Place a Pre-Auction Bid – Log into our bidding platform and register for the selected auction. Once approved you will be able to submit a pre-bid.
- Bid by Phone – Please fill out our Telephone Bid form. Phone bids are best for customers who do not have internet access or the ability to bid online. Telephone bid forms should be submitted at least 48 hours prior to the auction. When we receive your form we will call you to register you for the auction and verify your payment method. We will call you prior to the start of items you are interested in and communicate the current asking price to you. You will have the chance to bid or pass. If you bid by phone you are bound by the same terms and conditions as online sales.
I was the highest bidder, how do I pay?
After the auction is closed you will receive an invoice for your purchase. All invoices must be paid within five business days of the auction. We’ll email you an invoice which includes your winning bids with buyers premium factored in. We accept cash, credit, debit, wire transfers, and certified checks. Circle will hold lots until payments by check have cleared the bank. Circle requires wire transfer or ACH for items sold over $5,000. Unpaid invoices will be auto-charged to the credit card on file on the 6th business day following the auction.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept all major credit/debit cards through our online bidding platforms with a 3.5% credit/debit card fee. We also accept cash, wire transfers, and certified checks. Unpaid invoices are auto-charged to the credit card on file on the 6th business day following the auction. You must reach out to our office by 4pm on or before the 5th business day after the close of the auction to arrange alternate payment and prevent a credit card auto-charge.
Why am I being charged sales tax?
Most states now require auction houses selling items online to charge sales tax if the purchaser’s state mandates it, regardless of where the auction house is located. States have their own requirements on what is charged tax and at what rate.
Sales tax does not apply to bidders who have a valid tax exemption certificate. If you have a tax exempt certificate, please send a copy to our office at Info@Circle-Auction.com and we will adjust your invoice.
I am having issues paying my invoice, who can I talk to?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at (913) 403-0032. We can help walk you through the process or troubleshoot if needed.
Can I pick up my item in person?
Yes, local pickup is available from our auction offices. Items can be picked up between the hours of 10am and 4pm Monday through Friday beginning the first business day after the auction closes. Pickups are not available on Saturdays, Sundays, or national holidays. To confirm a pickup time, we recommend calling our office at (913) 403-0032 or emailing email@example.com. Please note, all items must be paid in full prior to pickup.
What about shipping?
While Circle does not directly provide shipping services, we have shipping partners that we work with regularly. If you are the high bidder on an item we are happy to help connect you with one of our shipping providers.
In addition to shipping your item(s), you have the following options to receive your purchase:
- Local Pickup: You may pick up your item from our headquarters in the West Bottoms Monday-Friday from between the hours of 10am and 4pm. Items should be picked up within 15 days of the auction close. Please indicate “Picking Up My Item” on your winning bidder form. Pickup is not available on Saturdays, Sundays, or national holidays.
- Local Delivery: Circle offers free local delivery of your items within a 20-mile radius of our office. This applies to any item under 200 lbs. (Email us for a delivery quote for larger items or if you’re outside our free delivery area. Typically local deliveries are made on a single day within 10 days of the auction close. All invoices must be paid within 5 days of the auction in order to take advantage of local delivery.
What is your return policy?
All sales are final. We strongly encourage you to visit us on our preview day to inspect the item you intend to bid on prior to bidding. If you are unable to attend the preview we are glad to provide additional photos or answer any questions you may have. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information.
Please see the below excerpt from our terms and conditions for more information. We strongly encourage you to read our full Terms and Conditions prior to bidding.
“Neither Circle nor its seller(s) make any representation or warranty, either express or implied, as to the description, quality, authenticity, period, source, or significance of any lot sold, except as to warranty of title. No statements by Circle, its agents, representatives or employees, whether in writing or spoken orally, shall create any representation, warranty or assumption of liability, nor that the winning bidder will receive any reproduction rights or copyrights to lots they purchased. Circle retains and reserves the rights to reproduce photography of lots sold.”
Contemporary + Modern ART & DESIGN | SUMMER CONSIGN IN THIS AUCTION Circle Auction is currently assembling our next event focused on modern design and contemporary art, assembled from various collections in Kansas City and around the region.Current design...
Art & Antiques April 2024 Consign In This Auction The Circle Auction team is putting together our next Art & Antiques focused auction to take place in March 2024. Current highlights include Thomas Hart Benton's 'Shallow Creek', 'Making Camp', and 'Youth...